Monday, May 18, 2009

Another horse person

I have know Liz since I was thirteen. Liz also had horses and we quickly formed a tight bond. I cannot even begin to tell you how much fun I had with her. During the summer I would get up early and ride DP over to her house and we would take the horses swimming or race each other along the hogback. There is now a high school where her house once stood and highway now runs through the land we used for a racetrack. I always knew that no matter what Liz did in life it would involve horses.

We lost touch over the years and reconnected recently on Facebook. It turns out I was right. Liz is currently the number one Arabian race horse trainer in the country. She spends her summers racing in Denver and I was able to come out and see her horses while I was in town. What she does take an unbelievable amount of time and hard work and her success speaks volumes about her character. I really admire her.




Liz and I have been talking about me comng down and working with her for a few weeks this summer. I am seriously considering it. Liz is wanting to move more into throughbred racing which means she would be able to give up her nomadic way of life and put down some roots. She is thinking about settling in Dallas...which is a pleasant coincidence because so are we.

No comments: