Tuesday, August 25, 2009

a whale of a fish story


My friend Jenn from Denver has been staying with us for the last couple of days. We have been all over the place taking photos. Yesterday we drove up to Edmonds to take the ferry across the sound to Kingston. One of her friends had told her about a lighthouse not too far from there at Point No Point. So we arrive at the lighthouse and decide to kind of scope things out before we pull out all the gear. We take a little walk on the beach and don't do much scoping...but Jenn found a handful of cool shells and I found a lot of sea glass. as we turn to head back for gear my phone rings. While in the process up answering my phone I look up and see 4 dark grey tales slip back into the water about 20 feet from the shore. At first because they are so close I think dolphins and then they pop back up with black and white heads. ORCAS! So instead of saying hello to my mom who has just called me I yell "WHALES! THERE ARE WHALES! WHALES!!!!! CALL ME BACK!"

Two adult females and 2 calves. And it figures that all of the cameras are in my truck. So we rush to take a few shots with our phones and both got a lovely shot of them submerging that really doesn't show anything. We asked a few other people who did have cameras if they got any good shots; but in the excitement what they captured was a what looked like fins and with a hint of black and white. There were fishermen that had waded out about 10 feet from shore in hopes of catching salmon. The whales popped up about 10 feet from the end of one guy's pole and he nearly had a heart attack. Another told us that in 20 years of fishing that spot he had never seen anything like that. I would have to say that that was the coolest things I have ever seen. As much as I hate living up here I will venture to say it was worth the move just to see those whales. Now we have to get Roman to see some whales so that we can move away from here already.

No comments: