Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Arches


Whenever I think about Arches National Park I think of fiery orange rocks against blue-er than blue skies…and those where the type of images I wanted capture. Needless to say I was bummed when I woke up to gray skies and rain on day two of our road trip. But you never know…the sun could come out.

We took our time and got on the road at around 8:30 am. The drive to Moab is only about 180 miles. After the marathon day of driving we had the day before it was nice to not be pressed for time. We headed south on Highway 6 and straight into a snow storm. Grumble. Living in Washington I have gotten used to shooting the grayness of rain clouds. Snow is a whole nother animal. But like I said the sun could come out…maybe.

And you know what? It did! WOOHOO!!! I was going to get the fiery orange rocks and the blue-er than blue skies.


But you know how clouds can be…they are sneaky sons of bitches and creep in when you least expect them.

As in Colorado the saying “if you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes” also holds true in Utah. The further we went into the park the more the weather changed. You turn to the north you get one thing, and the south another. After 4 hours of hiking around through deep mud and snow we decided to call it a day. I was happy with the images I had shot and was in need of a beer.

On our way out of the park good ol’ Mother Nature gave us one last photo op…

If interested you can take a look at some of my favorite images here

No comments: