Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Newport~Lobster


While in Newport I wanted to do touristy things...see the mansions, visit a few vineyards, see the church where JFK and Jacqueline Lee Bouvier were married, and of course eat a whole lobster.

So on Saturday after a long day of seeing the sights we ran into the visitor information center to get our parking validated and asked for recommendations of where to go for dinner. Seeing as we were not really dressed for dinner and we had no reservations we were pointed in the direction of the Landing at the end of Bowen‘s Wharf . We walk in and are seated right away on an outside patio overlooking the pier. We order cocktails, some crab cakes and sit back to enjoy the live music as the sun is beginning to set.

While waiting for our drinks we perused the menu a bit, but I knew what I was having...the Lobster. I was a bit nervous when I saw the words market price. These lobsters averaged 2-3 lbs, in Colorado market price on a lobster that size is going to run you well over a 100 bucks. Turns out market price on a giant lobster in Newport is 40 bucks. Boyfriend ordered the broiled scallops in a wine citrus butter and we agreed to share.

I am excited because I have never had lobster prepared this way. And then out comes the food. Boyfriend dives right into the scallops, which had to be over 2 inches in diameter. I just sat there staring at my lobster wondering how in the world am I supposed to eat this thing. Images of the dinner scene from the movie Splash are running through my head. I decide the best course of action is to just dive in. Now for those of you that have had this experience know that there is no lady like way to go about dismantling a giant sea bug. One thing you don't think about is that your dinner still has all of it's insides. This is something I realize after forgoing the provided bib. Surprisingly I am able to walk out of there not covered in lobster guts.

(Lobster is much larger than it appears, photo does not do it justice)

It is true that seafood on the coast is way better than anything you can get in middle America. Everything we had was phenomenal. It was a perfect date night...drinks, great seafood, live music, a beautiful sunset and the first unsolicited "I love you" from Boyfriend. What more could a girls ask for.

I was very happy, see take a look...

...or maybe it was the 5 Long Island ice teas!

No comments: