Sunday, November 22, 2009

more cupcakes...these ones are pink


Today felt like a good day to make cupcakes. I found a recipe for pink champagne cupcakes a while back and had been wanting to give it a go. It is a pretty straight forward recipe so I was not anticipating any issues. I ran out this morning to get the ingredients one of them of course being pink champagne. The store did not have the kind that I wanted so I buy a brand I am unfamiliar with. The recipe only called for 2 cups and I am hoping it is drinkable because I am going to end up to drinking the rest of it. Lucky for me the bottle decided that that would not be necessary.

I have opened hundreds of champagne bottles with nary a problem. While in my possession this bottle took a five minute car ride and spent the next two hours sitting on the counter in the kitchen. So I’m a mixin’ and a beatin’ all the cupcake stuff together and I get to the ‘alternately add flour and champagne’ part. I turn and grab the champagne bottle, tear off the foil, and while grasping the neck of the bottle with my left hand I apply pressure to the cork with my right thumb.

Now normally this is when the cork comes out with a loud pop and no geyser of bubbly goodness. But today I got that geyser of bubbly goodness…the one that sprays 80% of the kitchen and over the bar into the living room while I yell “SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!” and leaves me with just under the 2 cups needed to make these damn cupcakes. Sigh. So after a half hour of clean up I get on with the cupcake baking. They turned out pretty tasty and are a nice shade of pink. I hand colored the sparkly sugar on top…that was a pain in the ass.


No comments: