Saturday, February 21, 2009

Okala Bar


The first time I rode "Oakie" I was 9. I walked up to this big beautiful bay and asked who was going to help me get up on her. My aunt turned to me and said "you're the one riding her, get yourself up". Oakie suddenly seemed so much taller to me. I raised my leg as high as I could, barely slipping the toe of my cowboy boot onto the edge of the stirrup, wrapped my hands in the saddle strings and pulled myself up. The second Oakie took that first step with me in the saddle I was hooked.

Oakie was an Appendix Quarter Horse and had spent some time on the track. She leaned towards the Thoroughbred side with her long legs and lean body...in a word she was gorgeous. Of all the horses Oakie was the easiest to ride and made even the most novice rider look good in the ring.

As I got taller those saddle strings got shorter and we both got older. Oakie spent the last years of her life as the spoiled queen of the pasture. I think there was a part of her that longed to be brought along to the fort with the other horses...but I think there was a larger part that was just as happy to stay home and be Queen.

No comments: