Friday, February 27, 2009

Shadow Sage Bar


He was called Jake when my cousin Bill got him. He had had seven owners in seven years. I don't know how many different names he had over those seven years, but his name was now Cody and it would be the name he carried for the next twenty. Cody was skinny and nervous and he loved to run. He was the horse I was told I would never be experienced enough to ride.

That changed when I was fourteen and DP rotated her coffin bone and left me without a horse to ride. Bill offered me Cody and even though I was scared to death of this horse I jumped at it. The first test drive went well. Stopping was a bit of an issue but we ended up stopped eventually. Bill seemed confident that I would be able to handle him. I had passed!!!

Did I mention that Cody loved to run? The second you swung into the saddle you could feel his his energy coiled up like a spring. He more bounced than walked and the second he felt a slack in the reins he was off like a shot. I loved it! Did I also mention that Cody was not so good at stopping? Yeah, that part neither me or my calloused hands loved that part. Cody was a "Star Gazer" and ran with his head and nose straight up in air. A gag bit must have been used on him at some time to cause this and his star gazing was making the bit I was using ineffective. This was when I got the bright idea to try a Hack on him. It was going to go one of two ways. 1. He would stop or 2. I was gonna die trying. My mom, my aunt and cousins lined up on the rail to watch what they were sure would be my demise. I kicked Cody up in to a run and then gave the reins a quick tug and Cody did something I was not prepared for...he stopped.

Cody never got over being skinny, nervous, and loving to run. We had a deal...I took care of him and he took care of me. He knew that even when I was jumping him and DP through fire that everything was going to be okay. The connection I had with Cody was special and was different from the one I had with the other horses. He will always be my favorite boy.

No comments: