Friday, April 3, 2009

Mission Ysleta del Sur


We arrived in El Paso on Thursday afternoon and man was it nice to feel the sun on my face yesterday. Boyfriend's brother are in town as well and his mom is happy to have a full house. One of Boyfriend's younger brothers Abe had recently proposed to his girlfriend Christy. They have decided to have the wedding in El Paso so today me, Christy and Boyfriend's mom Lupe were scouting out wedding venues.

The last place we looked at was the Mission Ysleta del Sur. This is one of the three churches on the Mission Trail. Mission Ysleta was founded in 1692. The mission was washed away by floods in 1744 and 1829. The mission was reopened in 1851 only to be destroyed again by fire in 1907. Only the sacristy remained and the mission was rebuilt using the remaining adobe walls updating the facade with Mission Revival details. the bell tower was also altered adding the large silver dome, capping 3 centuries of natural disasters. The second I walked in this little church took my breath away.

Christy is planning the wedding I would want for myself if Boyfriend and I were headed down that road. I have had fun helping her in the begining stages of her planning.

No comments: