Monday, August 18, 2008

Ear Danglies


I am a part time girlie girl. For the most part you daily uniform is jeans, a t-shirt, and a pair of flip flops. Usually the only time I wear jewelry is to finish off an ensemble on the rare occasions that I do girl it up. I have started to wear earrings a bit more this year. Mostly because I have purchased 2 pairs that I love and wear as often as possible.

This first pair I got in Ojo Caliente, NM while on a spa retreat with a couple of girlfriends. I was instantly drawn to them and probably picked them up and put them down about 5 times before I finally bought them. They are made of ancient Greek glass. Depending on the light they give of a green/gold/blueish hue. They were $45, which is more than I would usually spend on earrings because I am super cheap. But I thought they were unique and I am glad I splurged on them.


This second pair I got down in Mexico. I saw them in a little shop near our hotel and would look at them longingly in the window every time we passed. They are sterling silver and are about the size of a silver dollar. I thought they we beautiful and I wanted them. So finally on the day before we left I went in to purchase them. They were priced at $120 USD. I of course could not bring myself to pay that for earrings...did I mention I am super cheap?


Boyfriend knew that I really wanted them so he sweet talked the shop girl down to $70. Still too rich for my blood so Boyfriend spoke with the girl a bit more. I am sure he said something like this..."I have a cheap gringo girlfriend who is weird about me buying her things. Do you think you could come down a tiny bit more on the price so I do not have to listen to her complain all the way home about how she wanted these earrings." I don't speak Spanish but am sure it went something like that.

No comments: